Home ›› Discover Lagos ›› SIGHTSEEING

    • The Church of Luz is of medieval origin. It has a vaulted chancel and stands on its altar a gilded gold altarpiece of the 18th century. It is located in the town of Praia da Luz, just outside Lagos towards Sagres.


    • The Palace of the Governors was built by the Arabs and conquered in 1189 by D. Sancho I. In the 14th century was the location of the Governors of the Algarve. Rebuilt in the 18th  century, is now located in the Jardins da Constituição on the Avenida dos Descobrimentos. It is considered one of the landmarks of the city of Lagos.


    • A chapel with octagonal design dated from 15th and 16th centuries. Throughout its history, has experienced various reconstructions a result of the earthquake that devastated the entire area in 1755.


    • The monument dedicated to D. Sebastião, who stated Lagos as a City in 1573, is located in Praça Gil Eanes. It is a sculpture made by João Cutileiro and considered to be one of the most beautiful sculptures in the country. It was inaugurated in 1972.


    • Dated from late 17th Century is located on the Avenida dos Descobrimentos and was the fortress for the city of Lagos. On the exterior a moat can be found as well as a drawbridge door. Its interior houses a chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara which stresses an important collection of tiles from the 18th Century. Currently is used for different activities, from art shows and craft to typical food festivals, live music concerts and focusing mainly on traditional festivity called Banho 29, where the local people on August 29th dive together in order to purify their soul.


    • The place where once the Slave Market was back in the 15th century, now is Lagos Customs House and its arches face now happier times as an open art gallery. Located on Rua da Graça, Praça Infante D. Henrique.


    • Small museum devoted to archaeology and ethnography. Display Roman coins and mosaics, Algarvian pots and many other artifacts. Located on  Rua General Alberto de Silveira. To visit there is an entrance fee.

      This Museum highlights an important collection of religious art consisting of images of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.


    • The Igreja de Santa Maria also known as Igreja da Misericórdia is considered the most important Church in Lagos replacing the Igreja de Santa Maria da Graça, destroyed by the famous earthquake 1755.

      Built in the 15th and 16th century has a Renaissance doorway with Doric columns as well as the busts of S. Pedro and S. Paulo. Inside, several images dated from the 18th century can be found, amongst them the ones referring to Senhora da Assunção, Senhora da Piedade and Infant Jesus on the sacristy.


    • This church was built in the 14th  and 16th centuries on the ruins of an ancient chapel dedicated to Nossa Senhora. Its facade is dominated by a bell tower which stands in a beautiful watch. Inside stands a 19th century altarpiece located in the chancel and different images, highlighting the Crucifixion and especially one of Nossa Senhora da Gloria with a considerable height. Adjoining the church is the Capela dos Ossos.


    • The Igreja de Santo António is located attached to the Museum of Lagos. These Church was built in the early 18th  century, destroyed in the years following the earthquake of 1755 and rebuilt in 1769. Inside the church is one of the greatest artistic treasures of the Algarve, composed of a large set of baroque art from the Portuguese artists Gaspar Martins and Custódio Mesquita. Its walls are covered with tiles in blue and white, characteristic of the 18th century. It is classified as a National Monument since 1924.


    • The Walls surrounding the city of Lagos were built during the reign of King D. Manuel I and D. João III on top of ancient constructions. Even today a large part of the walls are maintained in good condition and the porch of São Gonçalo presided over by two great towers can be visited, as well as a Manueline style window know for being the exact location where D. Sebastião  attended a Mess before leaving to the battle of Alcácer-Quibir.


    • This Sanctuary is a typical whitewashed rural hermitage dedicated to São Pedro de Pulgão. Its facade is baroque with a Manueline porch dated from the 16th century. It is located near the archaeological area of Monte Molião. Inside you'll find images of S. Pedro, São Luís, the patron saint of animals, and Nossa Senhora dos Aflitos. Different festivals are held in honor of Saints.


    • The main square in Lagos contains a statue to Henry the Navigator, sextant in hand, facing out to sea. Henry was a famous Portuguese prince who in the 14th century discovered several locations in the African Coast and helped the development of the Lusitanian Empire.

       The town, which was badly destroyed by an earthquake in 1755, has a fort and diverse historic churches.


    • The Lagos Zoo opened on November 16 of 2000 is located in the parish of Barão de São João, very close to the city of Lagos. With an area of more than 3 hectares, this is the ideal place for animal and nature enthusiasts. It features a multi-purpose room with library and video, veterinary clinic, a kitchen where professionals prepare the animals' diet, different shops where you can buy all kinds of gifts, children's playground, bars, restaurants and a garden where can be held weddings, baptisms, etc.

  • IGREJA MATRIZ (Odiáxere)

    • The Church of Odiáxere was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, following the earthquake suffered in 1755. In their altars can be found several images and its entrance porch was built in Manueline style. It is located in the town of Odiáxere, just outside Lagos towards Portimão.

Special Offers

Read more
  • Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda
  • Family Hotel Quinta das Barradas